At Game Dev we teach you how to code video games from scratch (not to be mistaken for Scratch, the language of Legends). We help mere mortals like you and I. If you're new to coding, learning Processing in class, or want to start making games, you're in the right place! We have a variety of lessons merging practical coding that expands on the ICS2O course with the unique perspective of Game Development. Where other courses teach how to code, we explore what you can create with basic coding skills. Computer lab rules apply, so no food is allowed. We suggest having lunch before coming to our lessons.
Come to the Dojo, Room 222, Thursdays at 11:45!
Disclaimer: We provide code for demonstration and educational purposes. Do not copy our code for use in school assessments, especially when it goes beyond the scope of your class. We may use advanced techniques in our lessons and will clearly mark when we do. It is up to you to use your discretion keeping in mind that they are fully aware of these materials. When in doubt, ask your teacher. Their word is final.
Read these - it's dangerous to go alone. Check the speaker notes for extra content!
Season 4 (ISP Workshops - Summer Series) - Coming soon: hone the skills needed to craft your ISP.
- Lesson 17 (2018-04-25) - Animation and Graphics
- Lesson 18 (2018-05-02) - Intuitive User Input
- Lesson 19 (2018-05-09) - The Art of Debugging (Part 2)
- Lesson 20 (2018-05-16) - Images, Fonts, and Files
Season 3 (The Caves) - Delve deeper into more advanced topics. Welcome back, to The Caves.
- Lesson 12 (2018-02-14) - Scrolling and Screenshake
- Lesson 13 (2018-02-28) - For Loops and Colors
- Lesson 14 (2018-03-06) - Timers (UI Part 1)
- Lesson 15 (2018-03-28) - Math, Functions, and Combat Systems
- Lesson 16 (2018-04-04) - Artificial Intelligence
Season 2 (ISP Workshops - Winter Series) - Learn how to put your know-how to use in practical projects.
- Lesson 6 (2018-11-22) - Making Pong and Keyboard Input (Live Workshop)
- Lesson 7 (2018-11-29) - The Art of Debugging
- Lesson 8 (2018-12-06) - Coding Style and Organization
- Lesson 9 (2018-12-13) - States and Menus (Live Workshop)
- Lesson 10 (2018-12-20) - Arrays and File IO (Special Java Lesson)
- Lesson 11 (2019-01-16) - The ICS2O Exam
Season 1 (The Basics) - Get started with key coding concepts and the Processing IDE.
- Lesson 1 (2018-10-11) - Intro and Variables
- Lesson 2 (2018-10-18) - Mouse Input
- Lesson 3 (2018-11-01) - Random() and Visuals (Live Workshop, Resources to be Posted)
- Lesson 4 (2018-11-08) - Leveling Up (Conditionals Part 1)
- Lesson 5 (2018-11-15) - Collisions (Conditionals Part 2)
ninja Lyons who make Game Dev possible.
- Valentina Krasteva (Teacher Supervisor)
- Lev Raisman (Supervisor and CPT President)
- Andy Pham (Branch Head)
- Dereck Tu (Teacher)
- Dereck Zhang (Teacher)
- Catherine Huang (Assistant Teacher)
- Sophie Lan (Assistant Teacher)
- Marina Semenova (Training Executive)
- Megan Holmes (Training Executive)
Extra content that we don't teach at meetings.
The Dark Ages (2017-2018) - Satisfy your morbid curiosity with Turing Lessons from Game Dev's conception.
- Lesson 1 (2018-03-02) - Intro to Real-Time Games
- Lesson 2 (2018-03-09) - Adding Realism
- Lesson 2.5 (2018-04-06) - Level Up
- Lesson 3 (2018-04-06) - Collisions
- Lesson 4 (2018-04-12) - Advanced Visuals
- Lesson 5 (2018-04-19) - Scrolling
- Lesson 6 (2018-04-27) - Objects
- Lesson 7 (2018-05-04) - Tiles
- Lesson 8 (2018-05-18) - Game AI
Game Dev Recommends - Dive into where we learn how to make games and what we use to make them, with our favorite resources from across the Internet.
- Blogs and Lessons
- YouTube Channels
- Game Resources
- Development Tools
Game Dev Web Exclusives - Coming soon...