At Game Dev we teach you how to code video games from scratch (not to be mistaken for Scratch, the language of Legends). We help mere mortal beings like you and I. If you're new to coding, learning Processing in class, or want to start making games, you're in the right place! We have a variety of lessons merging practical coding that expands on the ICS2O course with the unique perspective of Game Development. Computer lab rules apply, so no food is allowed. We suggest having lunch before coming to our lessons.
Come to the Dojo, Room 222, Thursdays at 11:45!
Disclaimer: We provide code for demonstration and educational purposes. Do not copy our code for use in school assessments, especially when it goes beyond the scope of your class. We may use advanced techniques in our lessons and will clearly mark when we do. It is up to you to use your discretion keeping in mind that they are fully aware of these materials. When in doubt, ask your teacher. Their word is final.
Read these - it's dangerous to go alone. Check the speaker notes for extra content!
Season 3 (The Caves) - We delve deeper and continue our Game Dev journey. Welcome back, to The Caves.
- Lesson 12 (2018-02-14) - Scrolling and Screenshake
Season 2 (ISP Workshop Series) - Learn how to put your know-how to use in practical projects.
- Lesson 6 (2018-11-22) - Making Pong and Keyboard Input (Live Workshop)
- Lesson 7 (2018-11-29) - The Art of Debugging
- Lesson 8 (2018-12-06) - Coding Style and Organization
- Lesson 9 (2018-12-13) - States and Menus (Live Workshop)
- Lesson 10 (2018-12-20) - Arrays and File IO (Special Java Lesson)
- Lesson 11 (2019-01-16) - The ICS2O Exam
Season 1 (The Basics) - Get started with key coding concepts and the Processing IDE.
- Lesson 1 (2018-10-11) - Intro and Variables
- Lesson 2 (2018-10-18) - Mouse Input
- Lesson 3 (2018-11-01) - Random() and Visuals (Live Workshop, Resources to be Posted)
- Lesson 4 (2018-11-08) - Leveling Up (Conditionals Part 1)
- Lesson 5 (2018-11-15) - Collisions (Conditionals Part 2)
ninja Lyons who make Game Dev possible.
- Valentina Krasteva (Teacher Supervisor)
- Lev Raisman (Supervisor and CPT President)
- Andy Pham (Branch Head)
- Dereck Tu (Teacher)
- Dereck Zhang (Teacher)
- Marina Semenova (Training Executive)
- And more to come...
Extra content that we don't teach at meetings.
The Dark Ages (2017-2018) - Satisfy your morbid curiosity with Turing Lessons from Game Dev's conception.
- Lesson 1 (2018-03-02) - Intro to Real-Time Games
- Lesson 2 (2018-03-09) - Adding Realism
- Lesson 2.5 (2018-04-06) - Level Up
- Lesson 3 (2018-04-06) - Collisions
- Lesson 4 (2018-04-12) - Advanced Visuals
- Lesson 5 (2018-04-19) - Scrolling
- Lesson 6 (2018-04-27) - Objects
- Lesson 7 (2018-05-04) - Tiles
- Lesson 8 (2018-05-18) - Game AI
Game Dev Recommends - Dive into where we learn how to make games and what we use to make them, with our favorite resources from across the Internet.
- Blogs and Lessons
- YouTube Channels
- Game Resources
- Development Tools
Game Dev Web Exclusives - Coming soon...